Tuesday, October 7, 2014

simplicity through structure || rise and shine

I make my bed (almost) every morning. 

via

It isn't written on my to-do list and I don't wake up early to be sure that I'll have time. 

Sometimes I wonder why it means so much to me, particularly when the rest of my space demands more attention. My stubborn refusal to triage pays homage to my need for simplicity through structure. The daily routine has become a cozy respite, a reminder that no matter what else the day may bring, I have already tended to me, cultivating a kind of self-kindness. 

Perhaps it is in anticipation of evening and the simplest pleasure of turning down the quilt. Or perhaps it is a gentle reminder to myself that once my coffee is brewed, the day has begun, no climbing back in bed allowed.

Perhaps it is my way of marking a new day - 
How do you measure, measure a year? 
In daylight, in sunsets,
in midnights, in cups of coffee.
-Rent


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© City Sidewalks, Country Roads. Powered by