Monday, October 20, 2014

simplicity in structure || 24 points in 2:54

The Steelers scored 24 points in 2 minutes, 54 seconds at the very end of the second quarter.

I decided to watch the game at Planet Fitness, where I am a member as much for the cable television as the treadmills. My sister had run earlier in the evening and although I lacked enthusiasm, I had just finished Laura Vanderkam's book 168 hours: You have more time than you think. Perhaps the most striking lesson that I learned is that 6am is not privileged over 8pm. As an early bird, I would rather go to bed early and start fresh in the morning. Not everything can be completed in those before-sunrise hours, though, and so there is simplicity in structure - to be a runner, run. I went to the gym to watch the second quarter of Monday Night Football.

here we go, Steelers n'at
Lackluster could be a kind word to describe the first 10 minutes that I watched, and I caught myself thinking, "When will it be halftime?".

The Steelers, however, refused to wish away those remaining minutes until they could slink away to the locker room and regroup. They dug in their heels and changed the pace of the game. It didn't matter that the points were scored in minute 13 instead of minute 2 of the second quarter. 

There is certainly grace for those moments when I need a time out. 

Day by day, I'm learning to be judicious in calling that time-out. Sometimes, action - even the smallest of baby steps such as opening the document or putting on my gym clothes- is enough to muster the courage to press on. 

Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose. 
-Friday Night Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment

© City Sidewalks, Country Roads. Powered by