Tuesday, October 21, 2014

simplicity in structure || a case for out-of-the-ordinary

Until today, I had never ventured north past Polett Walk. I walk from the train station to my office and back again. My route has been automatic and I know that I like the coffee from a particular food truck along that route. I had no desire to seek out change.

I was content. There was relief in the regularity - no decision to be made, no mistakes possible. By eliminating choice, I rid myself of responsibility - the path of least resistance became the default.

Today, I walked north past Polett Walk with a former student, who suggested Cloud Coffee instead of my usual spots. With my soft spot for alliteration, I agreed, and so we walked on, past the crosswalk where I usually turn toward familiarity.

The latte was divine - nutmeg, cinnamon, and dark brown sugar. It was the taste of whimsy - unexpected and delightful.

I must be careful that sinking into structure - a feather bed of familiarity - does not become settling.

Over the summer, my family hiked in several state parks near Dushore, PA. One particular trail ended at a river. The hike was complete, but I wasn't ready for it to be over. Instead, I clamored over rocks and found a view that has stayed with me - a treasured view of possibility.

hike on

No comments:

Post a Comment

© City Sidewalks, Country Roads. Powered by