Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Defying excuses

There is a certain defiance necessary to run in the rain. I have every reason to return home; soaked shoes are a far cry from Hermes' winged sandals. In choosing to continue, I defy excuses. In that moment, running is a choice, not a chore to be crossed off on my to-do list.



Growing up, I cut out every article about Mia Hamm and the U.S. Women's soccer team and made a scrapbook (or rather, I had the intention to scrapbook). Mia's commitment to practice reminds me that when something is meaningful, the effort should not be endured but cherished - "“The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking.” 
There is a sacredness to passion. 

I can turn around at the first hint of thunderstorm or I can run in the rain. I choose to run.

2 comments:

  1. your blog really resonates with me. i hope that it will extend beyond the 31 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so glad. i'm going to keep writing! knowing that these words are my own - by me, for me - is a feeling unlike I've ever experienced before.

      Delete

© City Sidewalks, Country Roads. Powered by